Cortez Mitchell, 19, was sentenced to two life sentences and four 20-year sentences for his role in a 2015 crime spree that included the murders of Antonio Hernandez Lopez and Joshua Davis. The life sentences will run consecutively, according to the Morgan County District Attorney's office.
Mitchell, Cedric Cowan, Joseph Cowan and Amani Goodwin were arrested for the murders of Lopez in the carport of his Decatur home and Davis at Wilson Morgan Park in May of 2015.
Police said the four confessed to a string of robberies and said some of them said they committed the crimes for fun. They were caught after one of them took a picture of himself with a cell phone stolen during one of the robberies, according to police.
Goodwin pleaded guilty in January to three counts of first-degree robbery and two counts of felony murder. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- Cortez Mitchell sentenced to life for 2015 murders
- Jury continues deliberations in Cortez Mitchell capital murder trial
- Decatur jury finds Cortez Mitchell guilty of murder
- Man gets life sentence in Marshall County murder case
- Danish inventor Peter Madsen given life sentence
- Man re-sentenced to life without parole
- Man serving life sentences for murders admits to killing Decatur woman
- Woman sentenced in Colbert Co. to life in prison for husband's murder
- Decatur man sentenced to life in prison without parole for 2013 murder
- 'Stand Your Ground:' Jury find Limestone County man not guilty of murder in 2015 shooting