Lauderdale County Coroner Butch Tucker says the juvenile killed in a weekend wreck was Joseph Ashton Aigner.
Tucker says Aigner's mother lives in Sheffield, but Aigner was reported missing from a group home in Huntsville.
Huntsville police confirm Aigner was a runaway from the Harris Home. They say he was being taken back from Colbert County to the Harris Home when he ran away.
Workers at the the Harris Home for Children in North Huntsville tell us Aigner ran away right when he arrived on October 7th. They say he was never admitted to their home. According to their website, the Harris Home for Children helps troubled teens who are in the care of the state. The executive director did not want to go on camera but tells WAAY 31 Ashton arrived at the home and immediately ran away.
Huntsville Police report filed by the group home classifies him as a runaway and he'd been considered missing ever since.
Ashton's sister, Kaitlyn, told us off camera the Department of Human Resources took her brother into custody in Sheffield in October.
Huntsville Police say Ashton was being transported from Colbert County to the Harris Home when he ran away.
His sister tells us after leaving Huntsville, Ashton went to live with a friend in Muscle Shoals.
We asked the Department of Human Resources why Ashton was in their custody. They told us because he didn't die from abuse or neglect, they can't release that information.
A juvenile is dead after Alabama Law Enforcement Agency officials said the vehicle he was driving went off the road.
State Troopers said the juvenile from Sheffield was driving a stolen SUV. He was being pursued by multiple law enforcement agencies at the time of the wreck.
He was heading eastbound on U.S. Highway 72 when we swerved off the road, flipped multiple times and was ejected. It happened about 2.5 miles west of Rogersville.
Troopers said he was taken to North Alabama Medical Center where he died from his injuries. Troopers are continuing to investigate the wreck.
- Coroner: Juvenile killed after crashing stolen SUV was missing from Huntsville group home
- SUV crashes into Madison County home
- Coroner identifies Huntsville man killed in Sunday night shooting
- UPDATE: One hurt after SUV crashes into Huntsville home; no criminal charges expected
- Coroner: Man killed in Lawrence County shooting
- Huntsville woman killed after truck crashes into home
- Juvenile from Sheffield dies after crashing stolen car amid law enforcement pursuit
- Huntsville veteran's memorial bench stolen
- Coroner: Woman shot in confrontation with Huntsville police has died
- Madison County Coroner: Death in South Huntsville fire ruled accidental