A convicted sex offender told a judge that castration would be better than serving a full prison sentence. Stephen Bunyard made the request in a Madison County courtroom after violating his parole from a 2007 rape.
The judge denied his request and sentenced him to 30 years. He's now accused of raping a 79-year-old woman earlier this year and a woman who thought he was her friend.
"Let him serve 10 years of his 30-year sentence and then, as a condition of his release, have the castration performed," said Larry Marsili, Bunyard's attorney.
Stephen Bunyard and his attorney made that request to the judge during a hearing to revoke his parole. Marsili said Bunyard violated his parole by not paying court fees, leaving the state and getting a DUI in Tennessee.
"Because of his age and his overall health is not excellent, he knew or I believe in his view. 15-year consecutive sentences would have essentially amounted to a life sentence for him anyway," Marsili said.
Bunyard has three sex crime convictions dating back to the 80's, and two of his victims were over the age of 60. Bunyard won't be getting out of jail for at least 30 years and if convicted of rape, he'll be facing life without parole.
"His request for castration while unusual, it was not just an attempt to get out of trouble or to get out scot-free," Marsili said.
Thursday, Bunyard was back in court for a hearing on rape charges from April. The victim told investigators she knew him for about 10 years, but not by his real name.
An investigator testified the victim waited days to report it and that Bunyard had made her swear on a bible. The victim said she had given Bunyard food and tried to help him.
The judge sent the rape case to a grand jury. Bunyard has another charge against him for violating the sex offender registration and notification act, but the judge has not heard evidence about that charge yet.
- Convicted sex offender asks Madison County judge for castration
- Alabama bill requires chemical castration of some sex offenders
- Convicted sex offender charged with child porn
- Convicted sex offender admits having sex with Alabama girl
- Officials arrest convicted Illinois sex offender near Henagar
- Athens police arrest convicted sex offender for violating registration laws
- Alabama's new chemical castration law, constitutional questions
- Defendants ask judge to dismiss Madison County Sheriff's Office sex harassment lawsuits
- Sex offender back in jail
- Albertville police arrest sex offender