JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - A convicted sex offender has admitted that he had sex with a 13-year-old Alabama girl who was brought to Missouri by the man's grandmother and mother.
Twenty-one-year-old Michael James Collins, of Fulton, pleaded guilty Monday to transporting a minor across state lines to engage in sexual activity. He also pleaded guilty to committing the offense while he was registered as a sex offender.
Federal prosecutors say Collins paid his grandmother $400 to drive to Alabama and pick up the girl, who he met on a website in 2017. Collins' mother went along and the women brought the girl back to Missouri.
The Callaway County, Missouri, sheriff's office found the girl in December 2017 after a cell phone ping placed her at a home in Fulton.
Collins was on probation at the time for a prior conviction involving a child.
- Convicted sex offender admits having sex with Alabama girl
- Convicted sex offender charged with child porn
- Sex offender back in jail
- Convicted sex offender asks Madison County judge for castration
- Officials arrest convicted Illinois sex offender near Henagar
- Alabama bill requires chemical castration of some sex offenders
- Registered sex offender charged with beating girlfriend
- Man admits to sex with teenage Alabama girl transported by his grandma, mom
- Alabama teacher accused of sex acts with girl in classroom
- Growing concern over two sex offenders living in Tuscumbia motel