The Alabama Department of Corrections says one of its officers was attacked Wednesday at the St. Clair Correctional Facility in Springville.
Prison leaders say Daryl Rowell, 27, of Macon County attacked the officer with a makeshift weapon as he was being taken to a housing area.
The officer was cut, but his injuries are non-life-threatening. He was transported to a local hospital.
Rowell is currently serving a life sentence without parole after being convicted of murder in 2016.
The Alabama Department of corrections plans to charge Rowell in relation to the attack.
- Convicted murderer attacks Alabama corrections officer, officials say
- Alabama attorney convicted of robbery, attempted murder
- Bill could give raises to Alabama correctional officers
- Alabama prison system graduates new class of correctional officers
- Convicted Huntsville murderer's appeal denied
- Alabama attorney, company official convicted in bribery case
- Alabama Department of Corrections recaptures escaped inmate
- Former corrections officer arrested in Marshall County
- Former Marshall Co. Corrections officer pleads guilty