Neighbors in Limestone County have a lot of unanswered questions after a boy was found floating in their community pool and had to be airlifted to the hospital.
WAAY 31 spoke with those neighbors about the accident and the importance of pool safety after an eight-year-old boy nearly lost his life.
“Complete shock," Deondra Davis said. "I’ve been here for about three years, so hearing something like this is completely surprising.”
That was Davis’s reaction when she heard an eight-year-old boy was found floating in her neighborhood pool.
“I’m just wondering why that child ended up in the pool the way he did and why anybody wasn’t supervising him," she said.
According to officials with the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, the boy was wearing a snorkel in the pool, and when a couple noticed the snorkel go under, they pulled the boy out of the water immediately and began performing CPR.
“They were there at the right exact time to save that child. So, that is a major blessing and a miracle," Davis said.
Davis says the incident has made her a little more weary about taking her own child to swim, but she says she’s also taking this as a lesson to always keep an eye on her son.
“Initially, it does make me not want to take him to the pool as much, especially when it gets too crowded, but as long as I’m there, everything should be fine," she said.
Davis says she hopes other parents will take this as a lesson as well and realize just how crucial pool safety is.
“Be knowledgeable. Learn every safety protocol that there can be to ensure the child’s safety at all times. You never know what could happen," she said.
- Concerned neighbors discuss pool safety after boy nearly drowns
- Coroner: Boy drowns in Colbert County swimming pool
- Neighbors on Moores Mill Road state safety concerns
- Child nearly drowns at Huntsville pool, officials say
- Boy found unresponsive in community pool
- Huntsville Police discuss railroad driving safety
- A toddler nearly drowned in a hotel pool. Nurses staying there for a convention saved him
- Athens neighbors concerned about apartments being built near homes
- With more rain, neighbors concerned about flooding in Limestone Co.
- House fire on Chadwell Road has neighbors concerned