Friday, Madison County Commissioners told WAAY 31 there isn't enough money in the budget to give the sheriff office an extra $3.8 million.
"Absolutely not. When you got a 1.9 million dollar increase, it's not even a reachable goal," said Chairman Dale Strong of the Madison County Commission.
He isn't the only one who thinks it's not possible.
"I'm sure if he had an extra $3.8 million he'd put it to good use, but the fact is we probably don't have the much money to give him," said District 5 Commissioner Phil Riddick.
Sheriff Blake Dorning requested additional funding that he said is needed for public safety.
Commissioner Craig Hill released a statement to WAAY 31 about the money on Friday.
“The commission is aware of the Madison County Sheriff's Department request for a budget increase and we look forward to finding a workable solution to bring a balance of public safety all while being fiscally responsible," Hill said.
One man WAAY 31 talked to hopes safety is at the forefront of the Commission's thoughts.
"Any funding requested for public safety should be a given. Somebody needs to find the money somewhere because he wasn't asking lightly," said Mark Hallman who lives in Madison County.
Riddick told us there’s only one way the Sheriff can get any extra money.
"We would have to cut all that money from somewhere else," Riddick said.
Hill said the Commission must weigh the requests of every department. For example, the sanitation department wants five new truck versus the Sheriff's Office who asked for ten new vehicles for their fleet.
Hallman just hopes the commission takes the sheriff's request seriously.
"People are concerned are alarmed, and that to me doesn't seem like too much to ask," Hallman said.
- Madison Co. Commissioners react to Sheriff's request
- Madison County Commissioners prepare for snow
- Madison County Commissioners purchase new emergency siren
- Madison County residents react to Senate race
- Could be years before Madison City Schools gets requested SRO's
- Madison Co. Commissioners collect donations for Hurricane Michael victims
- Madison County commissioners to discuss county-wide noise ordinance
- Madison Co. Sheriff's office receives lifesaving technology
- Madison Co. Sheriff's Office seeking international accreditation
- Madison Co. Sheriff's Lt. recieves national award