As the result of a merger, the Expeditionary Contracting Command was formally discontinued in a ceremony held on Redstone Arsenal.
ECC was formed in 2008 as one of two subordinate commands of the U.S. Army Contracting Command, or ACC.
ECC provided contracting services to Army and joint installations worldwide. The Command was also responsible for more then 400,000 contracts valued at more than $20 billion dollars.
ECC's mission was to plan and execute effective contracting support, In 2010, ECC deployed contracting teams when a 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit Haiti. The teams not only provided contracting support but also lend their expertise to aid the relief effort.
Brigadier General Paul Pardew says the discontinuation comes as a way for create more efficiency within contracting as a whole.
"There was always a thought that we may have had too staffs, so you are looking for efficiency and integration across our Army," said General Pardew.
However, the end of the command will not have an effect of staff. Instead, there will now be one headquarters to accomplish ACC's mission.
Pardew, the former ECC Brigader Commander, will now step into the role of ACC Deputy Commanding General for Operations Outside the U.S.
With seven brigades around the globe, General Pardew says their mission continues.
"I have soldiers in Afghanistan, civilians in Afghanistan, local nationals in various places, Korea, Germany, and Italy. And so nothing has changed in the operational contracting fight that we're in right now, " added General Pardew.
- Command cases its colors on Redstone, formally discontinued
- New Garrison Commander takes over command at Redstone
- Team Redstone Operations Security Day
- Thousands grieve murdered police commander
- AMRDEC at Redstone Arsenal gets new director
- Team Redstone organizations receive value engineering awards
- Redstone Arsenal quiet on government shutdown impacts
- Secretary of the Army visits Redstone Arsenal
- Solar power project operational at Redstone Arsenal
- Death investigation underway at Redstone Arsenal