Photo Gallery 1 Images
UPDATE: The search has been suspended due to severe weather.
The man crews thought was in the water was actually on a job out of town and his license somehow ended up with a witness. However, police still believe someone is in the water.
Sheffield police said the witness came to the department a little before 3 a.m., saying he saw a man walking into the water at Riverfront Park. The witness said the person claimed he was going to swim across the river to Florence, and then he saw him drop something.
"Our witness picked up the ID and said, 'Hey, you dropped this,' and he said, 'Eh, I'll get it when I get back.' Our witness watched him walk into the water and said he lost site of him at about 30 feet," Lt. Celia Mothershed with the Sheffield Police Department said.
We now know the ID the witness had is not the person believed to be missing in the water. Search and rescue crews sent dive teams in to locate the person, but they are facing a lot of challenges.
"We've got the dam that's up there, so we've got a current and there is also more pulling down that way, and we've got a wall here that creates a current that goes both ways," Lt. Mothershed said.
The Sheffield Police Department says it located the person it was looking for earlier and he is safe.
They still believe they have a body in the water.
Colbert County EMA searching for body in water at Sheffield park
The Colbert County Emergency Management Agency says it is looking for a body in the water at Riverfront Park in Sheffield.
At 3 a.m. Friday, a caller said he saw a man walk into the water saying he was going to swim across. The caller said he never saw the man again.
The EMA said it is not certain the man is in the water.
Stay with WAAY 31 on air and WAAYTV.com online for updates.
- UPDATE: Search for man missing in waters at Sheffield park called off due to severe weather
- Sheffield police searching for escaped inmate
- Sheffield police continue searching for escaped inmate
- Search for teen missing at Buck's Pocket State Park suspended due to bad weather
- UPDATE: Rushing water hindering search for teen missing in Buck’s Pocket State Park creek
- School closures, delays due to severe weather
- Storm damage reported in Sheffield
- Sheffield delays smoking ban vote
- Search for missing man continues
- Business closures and delays due to severe weather