A fire burns inside a Freemason Lodge in downtown Huntsville.
Huntsville Fire and Rescue responded to Masonic Helion Lodge on Lincoln Street.
Firefighters say the blaze was confined to an office inside the lodge. The firefighters removed books and paperwork inside the office before putting out the fire.
Toward the back of the building’s exterior, there are some burned areas.
Right now, no cause of the fire has been determined.
Someone going into the building for a 2 pm event spotted smoke and called for help.
The Helion Lodge #1 is the oldest lodge of Freemasons in Alabama.
According to historian Joseph Abram Jackson's, it’s "the birthplace of Freemasonry in Alabama."
The building was constructed in 1911.
- Close call for Huntsville's historic Helion Lodge
- Historic Huntsville bowling alley closing up shop
- Historic home transported from Guntersville to Huntsville
- Alabama historical constitutions make way to Huntsville
- Huntsville music survey closes Monday
- Historically Underutilized Business Zones accelerator program launches in Huntsville
- Former Huntsville NASA engineer sharing collection of historic space memorabilia
- New historical marker showcases African-American district in Downtown Huntsville
- New program merges Huntsville historically black colleges and universities together
- Huntsville neighborhood may become state's first Space Age historic district