Cleanup efforts are moving forward in Athens as people pick up the pieces of debris left behind by the storm.
The sounds of cleanup can be heard at a house on Cambridge Lane in Athens. Candy Bailey says she went down to a neighbor's house to get in their storm shelter to wait out the storm.
"It got real bad for about five minutes and then we waited a while. It got kind of calm, so we came back home and that’s when the blue flashing lights were on our yard and that’s when we found all this," said Candy Bailey, who lives in Athens.
This, meaning the debris and damage in her yard.
"My first thought was everything’s gone. That was my first thought, and thankful that we weren’t here, because it could have been a lot worse than it was," said Bailey.
Bailey says she's blessed no one was hurt.
"We can replace what’s here, and compared to a lot of people that lost their life," said Bailey.
Bailey says this isn't the worst thing she's had to endure. She is a cancer survivor and says it will take a lot more to break her spirit.
"This is nothing compared to what we’ve been through. Really, it’s nothing," said Bailey.
Tammy Knox says she and her family were in the storm shelter when the storm came through Athens.
"We came out and looked and thought everything was OK until we came to the front and it had taken our front porch," said Knox. "We’ve only been in the house for three weeks. This is our dream home, but you know, we’re thankful. We’re blessed that nobody got hurt. We were all safe in the storm shelter."
She says this is not the first time she has had to rebuild.
"My parents home got hit in the last tornado that was bad up in Clemens," said Knox.
Knox says she is thankful no one got hurt and she is ready to rebuild.
"It could have been a lot worse, and I’m just grateful that it wasn’t," said Knox.
- Cleanup from storm continues in Athens
- Athens business damaged in severe storm
- Tanker spill cleanup begins
- People in Lawrence and Colbert County continue cleanup after tornado
- Tornado cleanup efforts continue in Middle Tennessee on Thursday
- Athens police investigating shooting
- Community effort underway to help cleanup storm damage in Decatur
- Heat, scattered storms continue Sunday
- Athens family without home, working to salvage belongings after storm
- Historic tree in Athens topples during overnight storms