Members from a local church are spending their Saturday showing service and gratitude to the Madison County Community.
Mount Zion Baptist Church held their first annual serve day to honor 17-year-old Sarah Harmening who died one year ago in a bus crash.
A group of church members were traveling to the Atlanta airport to board a plane for a mission trip in Africa when the deadly crash occured.
The accident left several other students injured.
Today, around 300 church members volunteered for serve day at 20 locations.
The group helped spread gravel at Legacy Elementary School.
Volunteers told WAAY 31 that they wanted to give back and show their appreciation to the community that helped them during a tragic time.
Members of the church plan to continue this project in the upcoming years.
- Church members give back after deadly bus crash
- Monrovia Church remembers teen one year after deadly bus crash
- Roads may not have been salted before deadly bus crash
- Bus driver convicted in deadly crash charged with rape
- Teen girl identified in deadly Huntsville church bus wreck in Atlanta
- Mt. Zion Church bus driver pleads guilty for deadly 2017 wreck
- Deadly crash in Franklin County
- Chattanooga school bus driver gets 4 years for deadly 2016 crash
- Bus company involved in deadly crash rated 'satisfactory' despite past violations
- Oakwood students and staff involved in deadly San Francisco bus crash