Photo Gallery 1 Images
One Shoals mom is on a mission to raise awareness about bleacher safety after her child fell through the bleachers at Sheffield's football stadium.
Case Morrow, 5, was flown to Children's Hospital in Birmingham last Tuesday after he fell 15 feet through the bleachers at Sheffield High School while watching his cousin play football.
Case's mother, Christina Putnam, told WAAY31 he had a slight concussion, bruises, and scrapes. Putnam said Case was at the game with his uncle and fell through a gap in the visitors side bleachers. Putnam said Case was not running around the bleachers and went to stand up when he fell through the gap.
"I don't want another mom or dad to get that call or witness that," said Case's mother, Christina Putnam. "He's little and I just wanted him to be okay."
Putnam said she rushed down to Children's Hospital in Birmingham and Case was released the next day. Now Putnam wants all school bleachers to have more safety measures.
"They have these dangers and these risks and that's really all I want to change. Let's fill the gap," said Putnam.
Sheffield High School Principal, Joey Burch, said they were already working on a plan to get new visitor side bleachers at the football stadium which could cost over $200,000.
"We hope by track season to have some new bleachers in place," said Burch.
Putnam said she thinks Sheffield City Schools are taking a proactive approach to this scary situation and she hopes other schools will do the same.
"It's amazing what you can do when you come together," said Putnam.
Putnam told WAAY31 she has contacted Shoals area law makers like Phillip Pettus and Johnny Mac Morrow and they are on board in trying to see what can be done to make bleachers safer. Putnam also said Chad Young, a personal friend, is also helping her work on a plan for better safety.
Putnam said Case is doing fine and even got to meet the Sheffield Police officer that helped him when he fell. She says she's thankful for everyone's response.
- Child falls through bleachers at Sheffield football stadium
- Clements High School bleachers severely damaged in storm
- Sheffield man convicted of possessing 13,000 child porn images sentenced
- Storm damage reported in Sheffield
- Sheffield delays smoking ban vote
- Sheffield home destroyed in fire
- Home damaged in Sheffield after trees fall on roof
- Sheffield Utility customers will see a 2.4% increase this fall
- Sheffield police searching for escaped inmate
- Sheffield police continue searching for escaped inmate