Police are looking for the person who installed card skimmers on two ATMs in Florence and Muscle Shoals over the weekend.
The skimmers were found Sunday morning on Listerhill Credit Union ATMs at the drive-through on Woodward Avenue in Muscle Shoals, and at the Hough Road location in Florence, police said.
The Muscle Shoals Police Department also released photos of a man who they said placed the skimmer on the Woodward Avenue machine.
Listerhill Credit Union Representative, Kristen Mashburn, said people need to look for glue or tape if they believe a skimming device has been placed on an ATM.
"If they graphics aren't looking like they normally do or if something has been covered that might be an indicator," said Mashburn. "Look at the card slot. If your card isn't going in as smoothly as it should be that could be an indicator as well."
It was an observant customer using a Listerhill Credit Union ATM who noticed the skimmer device at the Woodward Avenue location.
"He actually just gave it a little gentle tug to the card slot on one of our ATMS and found that it came off and it was a skimming device that had been placed on the machine," said Mashburn.
Mashburn said 48 people swiped their cards while the skimming devices were in place, but none of their account information has been compromised.
"At this point we have seen no fraud from that, so we were able to contact the members and make them aware of the situation," said Mashburn.
If you have any information on this crime call the Muscle Shoals Police Department or the Florence Police Department.
Listerhill said in a Facebook post that the card skimmers were put in place around 8:15 a.m. and removed before 11 a.m., and 48 cards were used during that time. The credit union said its customers wouldn't be liable for fraudulent charges, and customers from other financial institutions who used the ATMs should watch their account activity.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Muscle Shoals Police Department at 256-383-6746.
- Card skimmers found on Shoals ATMs
- Card skimmer scams strike Huntsville
- Five card skimmers found at Madison Co. gas station
- New technology prevents credit card skimmer scams at the pump
- Marshall County Sheriff's Office warns about card skimmers
- Man charged with using mutable cards at Athens ATM
- Muscle Shoals Police identify ATM skimming suspects as juveniles from Romania
- Suspects wanted in connection to ATM transaction disputes
- Marshall County hit in nationwide ATM withdrawal scheme
- Shoals attorney has license suspended