UPDATE: (4:01 p.m.) Rainbow Elementary has cancelled school for all students on Friday, March 8.
Below is a letter sent to parents from Madison City Schools Superintendent Robby Parker:
"All students who attend Rainbow Elementary, including the PreK classes at RES, will not have school tomorrow, Friday,March 8.
We have been and will continue to work on the heater situation today, tomorrow and throughout the weekend. The heater cannot be repaired and a full replacement is needed. I will send another Messenger early tomorrow updating everyone on the situation.
I want to commend Mr. Givens, the administrative staff, teachers and Rainbow office staff for their work today. They had a safety plan and it worked.
I am also thankful for Madison police and fire, and Madison City Transportation employees who sprang into action to get the kids transported. I want to also commend Angie Bush at the PreK center and her staff for taking care of students with special needs and the PreK classes that are at Rainbow, and to the Discovery Middle School staff that was waiting on the 600 kids to house and feed them. I am very proud of the entire team."
Due to a carbon monoxide leak at Rainbow Elementary School, Madison County Police report that students are being taken to Discovery School for parents to pick them up.
Rainbow Elementary is closed for the day.
John Peck, Madison County schools spokesman, says there was a boiler breakdown at the school.
He said all children were safely removed from the school.
Parents are encouraged to pick their student up at Discovery Middle at the earliest convenience.
Students will remain at Discovery and lunch will be served for those who must stay until normal dismissal time.
School buses will transport Rainbow students from Discovery at the normal dismissal time.
Check back for updates.
- Carbon monoxide leak leads to Rainbow Elementary School closure, evacuation
- January is the worst month for carbon monoxide poisoning
- Police: carbon monoxide likely killed 2 North Courtland men
- Phone threat leads to Johnson Elementary School evacuation
- South Huntsville homes evacuated after gas leak
- Family grieving after two men die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Lawrence Co.
- Road Closure
- Two charged with threat that evacuated Johnson Elementary
- Shooting at Blossomwood Elementary School
- Roads closed, some evacuated for short time after gas leak in Athens