Shortly before 7:00 Monday morning, two men called 911 to report an overturned car under a bridge near the Von Braun Center.
Not long after the car was towed out of the ditch, a man walked up and told police he was in the car when the wreck happened.
He said he and his buddy were out drinking and he gave his friend his keys because he was too drunk to drive.
He said next thing he knew it was 3:00 a.m., and he was waking up inside of his upside down car.
He managed to get out and walk away with no apparent injures.
Police told us this is a misdemeanor car wreck, so all they could do was get his info and let him walk away.
No alcohol or drugs were found in the car.
Before making the 25 foot drop off, the car in question did some damage to a supporting beam under the track causing it to shut down for at least the rest of the day.
The Huntsville Madison County Railroad Authority told us a bridge inspector going out to the scene today to determine the extent of the damage to the support beam and estimate what kind of repairs need to be done.
- Car found in water near Von Braun Center
- Von Braun Center renovations delayed until April
- Von Braun Center adds security to arena
- Volunteers clean up Von Braun Planetarium
- Monster Jam comes to the Von Braun Center
- Huntsville Havoc host first home game at the Von Braun Center
- Global Force Symposium and Exposition to be held at Von Braun Center
- Margrit Von Braun talks about growing up in Huntsville with a world-famous father
- Rocket scientist, Georg von Tiesenhausen, dies at 104
- Woman missing from car crash found alive