Superintendent Dr. Tom Sisk will be staying on as the superintendent of Limestone County Schools.
That decision was made by the Hawkins County School Board during a meeting Monday night. The board held their final vote to decide whether to name Dr. Sisk or Matt Hixson, the assistant superintendent of San Jacinto Unified School District in southern California.
The board held two votes Monday night. The initial vote was 6-1 with district three board member Kathy Cardic as the lone dissenting vote.
Following that vote to choose Hixson over Sisk, the board held a final vote on offering Hixson the job. That vote passed unanimously.
Cardic said she threw her initial vote behind Sisk because she admired his expertise with budgets.
“He had already looked at our budget and was very knowledgeable about getting a budget and presenting it to a county commission,” Cardic said.
She said that while she initially hoped Sisk would get the job, she thinks Hixson will do a good job.
District two board member Chris Christian said he was and still is conflicted on his decision.
“I want them both. Any school system would be very fortunate to have Dr. Sisk,” Christian said.
Christian said that as he talked with the parents in his district, they said they were more impressed with Hixson in part because he was willing to relocate his family, including their five children from southern California to eastern Tennessee.
Cardic said the board selected a committee, which will have its first meeting on Monday to determine when exactly Hixson will start and what his full compensation package will be.
WAAY 31 reached out to Sisk for comment. We’ll update this story with his response.
- California candidate chosen over Limestone County superintendent for east Tennessee superintendent role
- Limestone County Schools superintendent takes opportunity in East Tennessee
- Limestone County schools superintendent leaving for Tennessee job
- Limestone County Schools superintendent considering new job in TN
- NAACP chapter says Limestone school superintendent should resign
- Tennessee school board votes charged superintendent can work
- Huntsville School's Superintendent offered Gulf Shores superintendent job
- Huntsville City Schools Superintendent Resigns
- Madison County Schools superintendent interviews begin
- Limestone County man drowns in Tennessee River