UPDATE: All lanes are back open now.
This was a one-vehicle wreck involving an officer who has been with the department for a year. Wet roads and speed were a factor, Lieutenant Johnson with Huntsville Police said.
The officer hit part of a concrete wall on the west side of the road, which caused damage. The officer is being treated and is expected to be released. He was on the way to a call of a suicidal person who had a gun in his car at the parking lot of Blossomwood Medical Center on Whitesburg Drive. Other officers were able to respond to the incident.
Medical staff talked to the person in the car, who was making suicidal threats, and they noticed a handgun in the driver’s side door where he was sitting.
When officers arrived, the person hadn't reached for the weapon and officers were able to talk him out of the car safely.
According to Frank McKenzie with Huntsville Fire and Rescue, a Huntsville Police officer was involved in a wreck on California Street at Maple Hill Cemetery.
McKenzie said the road is closed in both directions.
- California Street back open after wreck involving HPD officer
- HPD officer involved in wreck
- HPD officer charged with DUI
- Man killed by HPD Officer's bullet
- HPD Officers cleared by board in May
- DUI charges against HPD officer dropped
- HPD: driver involved with chase destroys church sign
- Report: HPD officer arrested for DUI vomited after wreck, had liquor in car
- HPD officer who died after wreck had another one less than an hour before
- HPD Officer charged with murder still considered an officer