Huntsville Fire and Rescue is training its newest class of cadets.
WAAY 31 learned about the 22 week training they'll go through before becoming firefighters.
More than 400 people applied, according to Huntsville Fire and Rescue.
28 people were selected after a six month selection process.
"I was shocked and excited. It's pretty cool to go through that big group of people and still be here, " said Raymond Tribble, one of the 28 cadets.
"There are people who made it the first try people who have made it the 10th try, 15th try, but if you really want to be here you will get it eventually, " Erick De La Pena, another Cadet in the class.
Both cadets have military backgrounds and realized after their service that they wanted to be firefighters. They told WAAY 31 they didn't realize what the process entailed.
"As the weeks have been progressing they have bee increasing the intensity and adding more stuff to the workouts. It's getting to the point where its more difficult everyday," De La Pena said.
Every day is different for them.
"I had no firefighter experience coming into this so everything is fresh and new every day," Tribble added.
Physical workouts aren't all the cadets undergo during the training process, which only happens every 12 to 18 months.
Those in the program spend 10 of the 22 weeks in Emergency Medical Technician training.
A spokesperson with Huntsville Fire and Rescue told WAAY 31 once the cadets graduate in April, it will put the department at full staff.
The cadets will then be assigned to fill open positions at all fire stations.
- 28 cadets selected to become Huntsville firefighters
- Huntsville Police try new training tactic for cadets
- Grissom Cadets finalize plans for Warrior 5K
- Australian company selects Huntsville for US manufacturing plant
- Grissom High School ROTC cadet honored for saving man's life
- Huntsville firefighters investigating overnight house fire
- Huntsville firefighters respond to fire on carport
- Huntsville firefighters practice rescuing their own
- Firefighters respond to fire in Huntsville neighborhood
- Firefighters respond to Huntsville house fire