Many businesses are offering incentives to buy gift cards as Mother's Day, Father's Day and graduation day approaches.
But if you think that seems impersonal, the National Retail Federation's Annual Mother's Day survey found that gift cards are one of the most requested gifts.
The survey, which asked 7,520 consumers about their Mother’s Day plans, was conducted April 4-12 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 1.2 percentage points.
The expected spending for Mother's Day would be $23.6 billion. According to the survey $2.5 billion will be spent on gift cards making it the second most wanted gift for mothers.
This would make up at least 45 percent of shoppers.
Jewelry was expected to be the first most requested gift from mothers at $4.6 billion, being purchased by at least 34 percent of shoppers.
- Businesses create incentives to purchase gift cards
- Gift card scam making the rounds on Facebook
- Huntsville police: Help find suspect who used stolen debit card to buy gift card, Mother’s Day card
- Huntsville looks to offer incentives on Limestone County land
- Huntsville approves incentives for unnamed $750M data center
- Tax incentives could bring Panera Bread to Athens
- Gun maker Remington loses $3M in Alabama state incentives
- Gary's gift from God
- Huntsville airport collecting gift cards for unpaid TSA workers, and you can help
- American Red Cross gives out gift cards to gain blood donors