Traffic is now flowing in both directions on the mainline of South Memorial Parkway.
WAAY 31 looked into how the nearly $60 million road project will help bring business back into the area.
"When they started construction we saw a real decline in business," said AJ Stark who works at Donatos Pizza.
He echoes many people who work along South Memorial Parkway. About three years later business might finally get better.
"We're trying to fight and get our sales back up to where they were, but it's still not like it used to be. And the longer it went on the harder it would be to get sales back and customers through our door," he added.
Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle admitted the nearly $60 million project included pros and cons.
"When the director of ALDOT and I started talking three years ago when we were planning this road we said we need to make it move as quick as possible because it will effect the businesses in the area and residents in the area," Battle said.
That's why Battle said the city built incentives into the project to hopefully get it done ahead of schedule. Nearly one year ahead of schedule and $5 million extra paid out in incentives, Stark told us businesses are relieved to see traffic moving again.
"We're so used to seeing cars backed up and sitting in traffic and almost like a parking lot out there. Now we're seeing them drive right on by it's an adjustment," Stark added.
The frontage roads still have to be repaved. The Alabama Department of Transportation expects for them to be done by October.
- South Huntsville workers hope for more business with road project completion
- Huntsville's Jordan Road extension project almost complete
- South Huntsville road project includes new park
- 'Complete Streets' project to make Huntsville roads more cyclist-friendly
- Demolition for the South Huntsville Library completed
- Cycle the South Hope Ride Stops in Huntsville
- New Drury Hotel in Huntsville nears completion
- Huntsville road resurfacing project backs up traffic on Governors Drive
- Videos: Flooding hits south Huntsville road during Saturday severe weather
- Huntsville business suffering because of Church Street road closure