Photo Gallery 1 Images
An argument over money left one man dead in Franklin County and another man behind bars.
Jerry Mills is charged with murder for shooting and killing his roommate Jason Baker Sunday morning on Block Church Road near Phil Campbell.
The Franklin County Sheriff, Shannon Oliver, said it appeared to be an argument over money that lead to him shooting Baker Sunday morning about 10 a.m.
"Mr. Mills actually called 911 to his residence and said that he had shot someone and he stayed on the phone with 911 until deputies arrived and were able to secure the scene," said Oliver.
Oliver said Mills shot Baker once in the face and there were no signs of a struggle.
"He hasn't really said a whole lot to that nature. His conversations are really short at this time," Oliver said when asked if Mills was trying to claim self defense.
This isn't Mills' first run-in with police. According to court documents, in 2012 Mills was convicted of manslaughter for shooting and killing a man in Russellville.
"He was convicted but that was overturned because of a technicality so he was still on bond on that charge waiting to be tried," said Oliver.
Some of Mills family live right down the road from where the shooting took place.
"We just had our family and didn't have much to do with them, because they always had people out there that wasn't well, you wouldn't want them around your children," said Betty Mills.
Betty Mills tells us Jerry is a distant family member and that it's a terrible situation all the way around.
"It's just sad," she said.
Mills had his first court appearance Tuesday morning and his bond was revoked. Oliver said they are keeping him in another Shoals jail for his own safety.
- Bond revoked for Franklin County murder suspect
- Jackson County murder suspect found not competent, bond revoked
- Jackson County murder suspect posts bond
- Lauderdale County murder suspects released on bond
- Waffle House shooting suspect's $2 million bond revoked
- Accused cow abuser's bond was revoked
- Suspected murders being held without bond
- Murder suspect's bond reduced almost $100,000
- Franklin County Sheriff: money motive behind murder
- Murder suspect released in Lauderdale County on a $50,000 bond