A body was found at Roberts Apartments at North Malone Street in Athens after 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, the coroner says.
According to Athens Police Chief Floyd Johnson, his department is investigating this as a possible homicide. The cause of death has not been released, and the body will be sent to the state forensics lab for autopsy.
Johnson said the body belonged to an elderly woman who was physically assaulted. The victim's name hasn't been released, because all of her family hasn't been notified yet. A male suspect is in custody and is said to be the woman's son who lived with her. A family member who came to the apartment to visit the victim found the body and called police.
Roberts Apartments is part of the City of Athens Housing Authority. The area is patrolled often and is a safe area, Johnson said. Charges are expected to be filed either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning.
WAAY 31 spoke with people with lived next door to the victim. They told us they didn't know the her or her son well, but one woman told us she saw the suspect get arrested at a nearby dollar store.
"My husband came out and he was like 'did you not just see that' and I was like 'no' so we pulled out and they had him down already on the ground," Tiffney Robinson said.
Police said they had the suspect in custody less than two hours after the victim's body was discovered.
- Body found at Roberts Apartments in Athens
- Body found after house fire in Athens
- Athens firefighters stop apartment blaze
- Police investigating body found in apartment pool
- Man charged after Athens apartment complex shooting
- One person hurt in Athens apartment fire
- Athens neighbors concerned about apartments being built near homes
- Folks voice concerns about luxury apartments coming to Athens
- Body found in north Huntsville
- Bodies found in northwest Huntsville