A Boaz woman is charged with aggravated child abuse after Etowah County authorities said she gave a 5-year-old boy a pill that caused him to lapse in and out of consciousness and have slurred speech.
Margaret Ann Elchin, 41, was arrested Thursday afternoon and posted a $50,000 bond later that day, according to jail records.
Elchin is accused of giving the boy a pill and dropping him off at school. School faculty noticed something was wrong with the boy and called medical personnel, according to the Etowah County Sheriff's Office.
As a condition of her bond, Elchin is not allowed to have any unsupervised contact with the child, authorities said.
- Boaz woman charged with drugging 5-year-old
- Authorities locate missing Boaz woman
- Boaz police arrest two in drug bust
- Boaz police shoot man during drug raid
- Boaz Police install drug drop-off boxes
- Boaz man charged with stealing guns, medication
- Boaz Police warn of drug paraphernalia littered on streets
- Boaz police seeks mower thieves
- Boaz brush fire threatens homes