During a safety checkpoint on November 3, 2017 around 11 p.m., Boaz Police officers arrested two men for drug possession.
Santiago Chavez, 19, was driving a vehicle when it was stopped at a checkpoint. Jose Flores, 22, was a passenger in the car at the time. Police were confirming the identities of the two men inside the car, when officers smelled marijuana.
According to a police report, the men refused consent to search the vehicle, but exited so the K-9 unit could sniff the scene. Police say Flores ran away from the officers and tossed a 9mm pistol from his person. The gun was located by officers during a search. Flores was captured after a short foot pursuit.
Four more guns, ammunition, 1.85 pounds of marijuana, and drug paraphernalia were also found in the vehicle.
Flores was booked on charges of possession, resisting arrest, and carrying a gun without a permit among others. Chavez was also charged with possession and obstructing governmental operations.
- Boaz police arrest two in drug bust
- 11 arrested in two separate Boaz busts
- Boaz police shoot man during drug raid
- Boaz police seeks mower thieves
- Boaz woman charged with drugging 5-year-old
- 5 arrested in Etowah County drug bust
- Four arrested in Jackson County drug bust
- Boaz police: 2 arrested at Walmart for having fake IDs
- Boaz police searching for theft suspect