BIRMIGHAM, Ala. (AP) - A Sunday night shooting marked the 100th homicide this year in Alabama's largest city.
AL.com reports that two men were shot inside an apartment in the Collegeville neighborhood late Sunday night. The Jefferson County Coroner's Office identified the deceased victim as 26-year-old Jahbrell Leon Sturgeon.
North Precinct Lt. Shelia Finney says the second man was shot in the head, but his injury is not thought to be life-threatening.
Police are trying to determine what led to the shooting. No suspects are in custody.
Of the 100 homicides in Birmingham as of Sunday, at least five have been ruled justifiable and not criminal. In all of Jefferson County in 2017, there have been 154 homicides.
Information from: The Birmingham News, http://www.al.com/birminghamnews
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
12/5/2017 4:57:27 AM (GMT -6:00)
- Birmingham reaches its 100th homicide of 2017
- Bullets hit Birmingham's Topgolf
- Riverton Elementary celebrates 100th birthday
- Woman shot in Birmingham home
- UPDATE: Missing girl near Birmingham found safe
- Kemper buys Birmingham-based Infinity insurance
- Bystander fatally shot in crossfire in Birmingham
- Three teens killed in wreck near Birmingham
- Birmingham area in line for Amazon project
- Amazon to locate distribution center near Birmingham