Photo Gallery 1 Images
A Colbert County judge sentenced Benjamin Young death by lethal injection for the shooting death of a 19-year-old man over an Xbox.
A jury found Young guilty of capital murder in February and recommended the death penalty.
Young was one of five people arrested for the shooting death of Kijana Freeman in 2016. He did not say anything to Freeman's family before being sentenced.
Freeman's aunt, Jessica Freeman Simmons, read a victim statement from the family to the court during sentencing. She said there is still a void in their hearts after losing Freeman.
Police said Young and the others lured Freeman and a 17-year-old to the parking lot of a Tuscumbia apartment complex and then shot them in their vehicle.
According to police, they believed Freeman had stolen an Xbox from one of them.
- Benjamin Young sentenced to death
- Benjamin Young found guilty of capital murder in Xbox killing
- Alabama court overturns death sentence
- Conviction, death sentence upheld for Scottsboro man
- Man sentenced for selling heroin that caused another's death
- Death sentence vacated for man who threw children off bridge
- Boston Marathon bomber's lawyers want death sentence tossed
- Alabama sheriff to probe death of inmate serving 60-day sentence
- Astronaut John Young remembered as "fearless"
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death for young children. Here's how to prevent it