NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Police say bones found inside a small duffel bag near a lake in Tennessee are those of a missing man.
Police tell news outlets in a statement that the bag was discovered by Percy Priest Lake on Sunday. Police identified the bones inside Thursday afternoon as remains of 57-year-old Michael Lee Goff Jr.
Police say Goff's mother reported him missing in May. They say a state Wildlife Resource Agency officer had found his bones on a bluff in a wooded area near an apartment complex.
A report from the medical examiner's office had confirmed the bones are Goff's. A forensic anthropologist will determine what caused his death.
Police spokesman Don Aaron has said that homicide and cold case detectives are investigating.
- Bag of bones found in TN are those of a missing man
- SCOTUS denies TN abortion appeal
- Three more tornado tracks found, bringing TN Valley total to 11
- Fayetteville, TN police: Kidnapping suspect arrested in Alabama, victim found safe
- Athens man charged with breaking bones in girlfriend's face, hand
- Man reported missing in Alabama found dead
- UPDATE: Missing Bessemer man found safe
- Limestone County Schools superintendent considering new job in TN
- Burn permit reminder ahead of TN wildfire season
- Suspect apprehended after weekend burglary in Lawrence County, TN