AUBURN, Ala. (AP) - Auburn says a gymnast who suffered devastating leg injuries during an NCAA regional semifinal is undergoing surgery.
A statement released by Auburn gymnastics coach Jeff Graba says senior Samantha Cerio suffered two dislocated knees during the competition held Friday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Graba says Dr. James Andrews will operate on the athlete on Monday for injuries that include multiple torn ligaments in both knees.
Cerio's legs buckled during a floor exercise when she landed badly at the end of a tumbling run. She immediately clutched both legs in pain.
The meet was delayed while medical workers put splints on both of her legs. They carried her out of the Pete Maravich Assembly Center to a standing ovation.
Cerio sent a tweet saying she's doing well and resting.
- Auburn gymnast undergoes surgery on both knees
- Jalen Hurts undergoes ankle surgery
- Auburn's Chuma Okeke undergoes surgery on torn ACL
- Vols' Lamonte Turner undergoes another shoulder surgery
- Woman undergoes two surgeries after Florence police dog bites her
- Melania Trump undergoes kidney surgery at Walter Reed medical center
- Puppy born with upside down paws undergoes surgery
- Free2Be undergoing state audit
- Auburn wins!