Photo Gallery 1 Images
HOOVER, Ala. (AP) - Judd Ward bunted home the go-ahead run and hit a two-run homer Tuesday as No. 8 seed Auburn defeated No. 9 seed Tennessee 5-3 in the Southeastern Conference Tournament.
Auburn (33-23) faces No. 1 seed Vanderbilt (45-10) on Wednesday in the first day of double-elimination competition.
Tennessee (38-19) was eliminated. The Volunteers haven't won an SEC Tournament game since 2007.
Ward's bunt hit in the fifth inning scored Edouard Julien. Ward's two-run blast in the seventh extended Auburn's lead to 5-2.
Tennessee cut the margin to 5-3 on Zach Daniels' ninth-inning homer and had the tying run at the plate with one out when Christian Scott belted a shot that was caught at the right-field warning track. Cody Greenhill then struck out Jay Charleston to earn his 10th save.
Auburn's Bailey Horn (3-0) allowed one hit and one run in four innings of relief. Tennessee's Garrett Stallings (8-4) yielded three runs in five innings.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
5/21/2019 8:44:44 PM (GMT -5:00)
- Auburn beats Tennessee, advances in SEC Baseball tourney
- Alabama drops Auburn 6-4 in SEC Tourney opener
- Auburn Women Slide Past Alabama In SEC Tourney
- Auburn beats Kentucky 4-3 in 11 innings in SEC Tournament
- Auburn beats UNC to advance to College World Series
- Georgia wins SEC Championship over Auburn
- Auburn opens SEC Tournament vs. Kentucky
- Auburn basketball gets second straight SEC win
- Auburn Alumni celebrate SEC Championship in Huntsville
- Auburn learns designations for 2020 SEC slate