In Limestone County, deputies arrested a man who tried to pull a gun at a church in the Owens community.
It happened today at O’Neal Church of Christ.
Thomas Lewter has been charged with making a terrorist threat.
The sheriff’s office tells us a retired deputy handcuffed Lewter after worshipers collectively tackled him as he reached for his gun.
Investigators say Lewter went up to the pulpit complaining about a pending divorce.
He specifically complained about his wife and father.
Both were attending the church service.
Lewter was taken to Athens-Limestone Hospital for evaluation, but he is now being held at the Limestone County Detention Center.
- Athens man arrested for reaching for gun at church
- Athens man arrested for indecent exposure
- Athens man killed in crash
- Police: Athens man arrested after shooting 19-year-old
- Athens police arrest man on sex abuse charges
- Man arrested in Athens hit, run motorcycle crash
- Investigators arrest Athens man on 5 charges, bond at $20,000
- Car theft investigation in Athens leads to man's arrest
- Athens police investigating shooting
- Athens man charged with drug trafficking