Firefighters evacuated people from their homes when a gas line was cut on the south side of Athens Thursday morning.
A contractor accidentally cut a 6-inch gas line on Highway 31 near Huntsville Brownsferry Road just after 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
Homes on Highway 31 and in the Pitts Boulevard area were evacuated and the road was shut down while crews worked to shut off the gas running through the line.
The gas was shut off just before 11 a.m. People were allowed to return to their homes shortly afterward.
The line is owned by American Midstream, according to a city spokesperson. Repair work could go into the night, she said.
- Athens crews dealing with gas leak
- Roads closed, some evacuated for short time after gas leak in Athens
- Gas leak temporarily shuts down Winchester Road
- Madison Fire responds to gas leak
- South Huntsville homes evacuated after gas leak
- Athens Police arrest gas station robbery suspect
- Students released early from Geraldine School due to gas leak
- Huntsville Utilities reminding public to be cautious of gas leaks
- International Space Station crew working to fix small pressure leak
- Crews respond to structure fire at Elkton Road in Athens