Athens State University was awarded a $2,000 Youth Literacy Grant from the Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
The grant is intended to help students with literacy by funding schools, public libraries and nonprofit organizations.
According to university officials, the funding will be used to grow current literacy programs by purchasing new materials.
The Dollar General Literacy Foundation has awarded more than $159 million in aid to organizations in 44 states. Officials at Athens State say the foundation has helped over 10 million people.
- Athens State awarded grant from Dollar General Literacy Foundation
- Athens police seek Dollar General robbery suspect
- Athens police arrest man for shoplifting at Dollar General, hitting employee
- Several Athens businesses recognized with beautification awards
- Second arrest made in Dollar General robbery
- Dollar General hosting job fair in Decatur
- Athens State president stepping down
- Huntsville City Schools launches new literacy program
- $2 million federal grant awarded to Wallace State
- Athens Elementary teacher selected as finalist for national award