Athens State University now has a new president.
The board introduced Dr. Phillip Way as the 37th president on Tuesday. They said he stood out in interviews through his academic credentials, a business-related history, and interpersonal skills.
Way outlined his goals and said the university doesn't need to be fixed. It just needs some changes.
"We really need to be thinking about the whole person, too, not just academic kinds of things, but life skills essentially. We need to think about the program array we have. What is appropriate for the future?" said Way.
- Athens State University introduces 37th president
- Athens State president stepping down
- Athens State University picks 4 presidential finalists
- Athens State University urges students to register to vote
- 37th annual sheriff's rodeo kicks off in Limestone Co.
- Athens police investigating shooting
- Athens police seeking person of interest after burglary at Athens State
- Athens community drop-off event
- Athens man killed in crash
- Coroner: 3 dead in Athens