Athens police said Elm Street is back open after a pedestrian was killed in a wreck Thursday morning.
Police say they were notified of the wreck at 6:30 a.m. Police say it appears the vehicle was driving westbound on Elm Street and the pedestrian was walking east on the side of the street. The vehicle struck the pedestrian, 63-year-old Kent Sowell, and he died at the scene.
The Athens Police Department is investigating a deadly wreck involving one vehicle.
Right now, Elm Street near Lucas Ferry Road is closed. Police have not said when the road may reopen.
According to Athens Police, the victim lived in Athens Village Apartments. Residents told WAAY 31 they heard police sirens around 6:30 Thursday morning.
Police have not released the victim's identity.
WAAY 31 will update this story as more information comes in.
- Pedestrian killed in crash on Elm Street in Athens
- Pedestrian killed crossing Decatur street
- Athens man killed in crash
- Pedestrian hit and killed by train in Athens
- Pedestrian killed in early morning crash
- Elm Pet Foods, others recall dog food over vitamin D
- Athens closing street for bridge replacements, more
- Pedestrian killed in Limestone County
- Athens woman shot and killed overnight
- Athens man killed in car wreck