According to the Scottsboro Fire Department, three people are dead in Scottsboro after an apartment fire that happened at 10:38 p.m. Thursday night.
Scottsboro firefighters responded to a residential structure fire call on the 200 block of Meadow Street.
When firefighters arrived they found a 4-unit apartment building with heavy smoke, and fire was showing from a lower level unit and the structure's roof.
The three victims were found in the lower-level unit, and they were later pronounced dead at Highlands Medical Center.
The victims have been identified as Paula Garrett Smith, Brian Keith Smith, and Jennifer Dawn Chapman.
Four other residents were in adjoining units when the fire broke out, and they were able to escape without serious injury.
The fire was contained at approximately 3:00 a.m.
Officials say the fire appears to be accidental, but the State Fire Marshal's Office, Scottsboro Police Department, and Scottsboro Fire Department are still conducting an investigation into the cause of the fire.
No working smoke alarms were found in the apartments.
- Apartment fire kills three in Scottsboro
- Fire damages Scottsboro Krystal restaurant
- No smoke detector present in Scottsboro apartment fire that killed 3
- Scottsboro judge submits resignation
- Earthquake reported near Scottsboro
- 3 arrested after meth, pot found in Scottsboro apartment
- Scottsboro business fire ruled as arson
- Woman arrested in Scottsboro hotel
- Many suspect Scottsboro business fire was intentionally set
- Meningococcus reported at Scottsboro Junior High School