Huntsville police confirmed to WAAY 31 The Overlook Apartments has hired the police department to provide security during the evening hours, but one person told WAAY 31 she thinks the security efforts are too late.
"I feel like they shouldn't have had to enforce law enforcement now that something has happened," Kimberly Hollman said. "If they probably would have had it in the beginning, happening all the time, this situation would have probably never happened."
She says the environment at The Overlook Apartments during the evening hours on most nights is concerning.
"Parties, gunshots, fights...I've literally heard someone fighting in front of my door," Hollman said.
She's hoping that changes.
Huntsville police told WAAY 31 Wednesday afternoon they were hired by the complex for security starting immediately.
The added security will be in effect from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. every night.
Police told WAAY 31 an off-duty officer will check identification for anyone entering the property and will keep a list of visitors.
Hollman says if the added security doesn't reduce crime at the complex, she plans to move out.
"If it gets better, I would stay, but if it continues to get worse like it is, then I can't," she said.
WAAY 31 reached out to the apartment complex about this added security, but we're still waiting to hear back from them.
- Apartment complex hires Huntsville police after overnight shooting
- Huntsville Police swarm apartment complex after New Year's Eve shooting
- Police investigating accidental shooting at Huntsville apartment complex
- Police rush to Huntsville apartment complex after shooting
- Huntsville Police investigating overnight shooting
- Car burned at Huntsville apartment complex
- Huntsville apartment complex fire under investigation
- Tenants displaced after Huntsville apartment complex condemned
- One victim dies after shooting at Huntsville apartment complex
- Woman arrested after deadly shooting at Huntsville apartment complex