The American Red Cross of North Alabama are now giving out gift cards to those who donate their blood.
This summer they're experiencing a critical level of blood shortage. They're hoping the $5 amazon gift cards will bring back old donors and bring in new ones. Kris Anderson with the American Red Cross told WAAY 31 there's a higher need for blood because accidents increase. This is personal to Anderson because when she was a cancer patient, someone's blood saved her.
"I learned today that we have a critical need for plasma here and that's a process that takes about 2 hours of a donor's life to come in and give plasma. That's what I received and that's what kept me alive to perform the surgeries for the next phase of my treatments," said Khris Anderson.
The American Red Cross hope donors come back once school starts back and people are not on summer travel.
- American Red Cross gives out gift cards to gain blood donors
- Red Cross asks for blood donations; critical need for blood
- American Red Cross new location in Huntsville
- Red Cross: Winter season and flu season causing blood shortage
- Red Cross hosting blood drives in North Alabama
- Red Cross has urgent need for blood and platelet donations
- Businesses create incentives to purchase gift cards
- LifeSouth hosts first ever blood donor yard sale
- Local American Red Cross volunteers head to the East Coast
- LifeSouth celebrates longtime donor