An Albertville woman is dead after a single-car crash Friday night.
The wreck occurred on Nixon Chapel Road about five miles south of Albertville around 8:35 p.m. People who live along the road said they were surprised to see so many first responders near their home.
"Someone texted me asking what was going on on the road I live on? I told them, I don't know what happened," Tomas Miguel said.
He was at church Friday night when a car crashed right in front of his home.
"The car was completely crushed," Miguel said.
Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) State Troopers said that Judy Ray Ramos, 39, was ejected from the 2006 Chrysler 300 driven by Jason Dwayne Carson, 41, left the road and flipped.
Carson was transported to the hospital, but State Troopers did not state his condition.
Ramos was pronounced dead at the scene. Miguel was surprised when he learned Ramos was not wearing her seat belt when the crash happened.
"We need to put on our seat belts on all our kids. People sitting in the back or in front. Even if you're out for just a little bit, we need to put on our seat belt. It's our safety," Miguel explained.
According to a study by the University of Alabama Center for Advanced Public Safety, about half of all traffic fatalities recorded in Alabama involve people not wearing their seat belts. Last year, 366 of the 743 people killed in car crashes were not wearing a seat belt.
Miguel hopes people are now more cautious when out on the road.
"Take care of yourself when you are out driving. Be careful because taking care of yourself is the most important thing," he said.
- Albertville woman dead following single-vehicle crash in Marshall County
- Marshall County sheriff seeks help for missing Albertville woman
- Moulton man dies in single-vehicle crash
- Marshall Co. sheriff arrests man after finding stolen vehicle at Albertville home
- Person shot in Albertville
- Albertville woman killed in weekend wreck
- Fatality reported from single-vehicle crash in Decatur
- Single vehicle wreck investigated by state troopers
- One dead in single car crash in Meridianville
- Drugs, 41 guns, stolen truck found at Albertville home by Marshall County Sheriff’s Office