WAAY 31 learned more details North Alabama students that were at Opry Mills in Nashville when the shooting took place.
Albertville High School's Principal shared with WAAY 31 that some of them were even in the store that it happened in.
All 43 students and both teachers on the field trip in Nashville were excused from school on Friday.
The students were on a field trip for Albertville's culinary arts program.
While there, they visited food trucks and had multiple assignments to complete.
After their morning session was done, they had an hour break before the students were going to have dinner near Opry Mills, according to the Principal.
She told me the students and teachers stopped at the mall for some free time.
During that hour, one person was shot inside the mall and later died at the hospital.
Albertville High School's Principal said one of the teachers on the field trip called her within minutes of police being dispatched to Opry Mills.
She soon learned some of the 10th, 11th and 12th grade students on the trip were inside the store where the shooting happened.
She told us the students knew what to do because of the active shooting training they had at school.
"The students used a lot of the training that we used here at school for safety. For when we do like lock-down drills or active shooting drills at school. They actually used a lot of that in the situation they were in yesterday as far as running hiding getting away from the situation," said Principal Diedra Robinson.
Robinson said in less than 20 minutes of the shooting, all the students were accounted for by the teachers. The school contacted each family to let them know their child was safe within an hour of the incident.
- Albertville students at Opry Mills during shooting
- Victim, suspect identified in Opry Mills shooting
- 1 dead after Opry Mills Mall shooting, suspect in custody
- Police: Girlfriend of Opry Mills shooting victim had stolen guns in her purse
- Man charged in Albertville shooting
- Opry Mills Mall damaged in 2010 flood seeks more insurance money
- Person shot in Albertville
- Albertville police involved in overnight shooting
- Albertville Police investigate deadly morning shooting
- Albertville police arrest suspect in deadly shooting