BESSEMER, Ala. (AP) - The sheriff's office of Jefferson County, Alabama, is investigating the death of a 60-year-old inmate at the Bessemer City Jail.
Al.com reports authorities say James Edward Walker was serving a 60-day sentence for failure to appear when he began to suffer medical issues Thursday. It's unclear what medical issues Walker suffered. He was set to be released this month.
Authorities say Walker was treated by emergency responders and taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. The investigation is ongoing.
- Alabama sheriff to probe death of inmate serving 60-day sentence
- Alabama court overturns death sentence
- Madison County Sheriff's Office investigates inmate death
- Death of Alabama inmate ruled suicide
- Alabama prison system investigates 2 inmate deaths
- Alabama inmate fatally stabbed
- Inmate escapes Alabama work release
- Alabama authorities capture escaped inmate
- Texas police arrest Alabama inmate in 1974 death of officer
- Lawyers say Alabama death row inmate mentally incompetent