ROCKFORD, Ala. (AP) - An Alabama sheriff says a female inmate had sex with a male inmate who was working in the jail and deliberately got pregnant in an effort to get released.
Coosa County Sheriff Michael Howell told reporters Wednesday that investigators determined 27-year-old Latoni Daniel hoped getting pregnant and claiming she was raped would help her get leniency in her capital murder case.
Al.com reports Daniel was charged in December 2017 in the death of Thomas Virgil Chandler. He was attacked, robbed, and slain on his way home from buying groceries.
Daniel has been jailed without bail for 18 months while awaiting trial, and gave birth to a boy in May.
One of her attorneys initially said she was raped and had no memory of a sexual encounter.
- Alabama sheriff says murder suspect purposely got pregnant
- Georgia murder suspect spotted in Alabama
- Jackson County sheriff: Missing pregnant teen mom, child found safe
- Pregnant woman killed, daughter injured in Alabama crash
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by car stuns, shoots Alabama suspect
- Suspect in murder of Decatur teenager back in Alabama
- Suspect arrested in Decatur murder
- Woman charged with using drugs while pregnant
- Jackson County sheriff seeks missing 17-year-old pregnant woman and her son
- Huntsville Fire: 3 fires on same street set on purpose