DORA, Ala. (AP) - Preliminary autopsy results in Alabama show a city councilman and part-time police officer fatally shot a woman and then killed himself.
News outlets report that authorities have not released a motive in the deaths of 70-year-old John Allen Softley and 30-year-old Monica Jean Graves.
Their bodies were found in a parked pickup truck last month by a passing motorist. Softley was a Parrish City councilman and part-time Jasper police officer.
Walker County District Attorney Bill Adair asked the State Bureau of Investigation to take the case.
Preliminary results from autopsies by the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences have determined that Graves' death was a homicide and Softley's was a suicide.
- Alabama agency: Councilman found dead killed woman then self
- Alabama city councilman charged with public lewdness
- Alabama inmate who killed 2 found dead in prison infirmary
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency: Body found at South Sauty Creek
- Man reported missing in Alabama found dead
- Councilman pushing for historic status
- Alabama agency raises low-income child care
- Alabama Law Enforcement Agency hit with lawsuit
- Alabama man, 43, found dead in cell hours after arrest
- Woman found dead in north Huntsville home identified