The Huntsville City Council will discuss a resolution on Thursday to purchase land for the Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering.
If the resolution is approved, the City of Huntsville plans to purchase land in Cummings Research Park, at a cost of no more than $1.8 million. The land will then be donated to build the magnet school.
"More details are yet to come, but this sets the stage," said Kelly Schrimsher, a spokesperson with the city.
In April of 2018, it was mentioned that Cummings Research Park was where the school would likely be built, but nothing had been finalized yet. Senator Arthur Orr, who's the president of the Board of Trustees for the academy, told WAAY 31 on June 13 that a big announcement was coming later in the month, and we might find out where in Huntsville it will be built.
On Wednesday, the Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering Foundation said it has an important announcement to make on Friday that includes Senator Orr and Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle.
WAAY 31 reached out to Senator Orr on Wednesday, but we haven't heard back.
The Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering will be Alabama's third magnet school free to students from across the state.
Stay with WAAY 31 on-air and online for updates to this story.
- Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering could be located in Cummings Research Park
- Huntsville approves buying land in Cummings Research Park for Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering
- Madison County superintendent named president of Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering
- Huntsville's Alabama School of Cyber Technology and Engineering will be free for students
- New additions to be completed at Cummings Research Park in Huntsville
- President of upcoming cyber technology school in Huntsville starts job
- Deloitte gives $100,000 to Huntsville’s Alabama School of Cyber & Engineering Foundation
- 18-wheeler crashes into Alabama Robotics Technology Park, catches fire
- Alabama updating 911 system with newer technology
- Huntsville Cyber School gets big donations