MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has appointed a new communications director.
Leah Garner arrives in the role from the Business Council of Alabama, where she served as director of governmental affairs and advocacy. She began her career teaching social studies in Tuscaloosa.
Ivey also announced Tuesday that Gina Maiola will serve as press secretary and Lori Johns will assume the position of director of digital media relations.
All appointments are effective June 17.
The appointments fill a position left vacant after Daniel Sparkman, Ivey's former press secretary and primary spokesman, resigned this year to run for the Alabama Legislature.
Josh Pendergrass, who had served as her communications director, resigned in 2018 to take a job in the private sector.
- Alabama Gov. Ivey appoints new communications director
- Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey appoints judge as new director of Board of Pardons and Paroles
- Read: Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey's inaugural speech
- Alabama Gov. Ivey announces inauguration theme
- Gov. Ivey to meet with Alabama Dept. of Environmental Management director concerning 3M issues
- Huntsville community reacts to Gov. Ivey racist skit controversy
- Alabama Gov. Ivey extends fundraising lead over Maddox
- Will Gov. Kay Ivey sign Alabama’s abortion ban bill?
- Gov. Ivey: Businesses won't leave Alabama over abortion law
- Gov. Ivey signs legislation expanding Alabama's broadband services