Huntsville police have charged a man with capital murder after a Wednesday morning shooting victim died.
Joseph Earls, 18, is charged with capital murder in the death of Samantha Coyner, 19.
Police say officers were dispatched to the area of Hillwood Drive at Chicamauga Trail for a shooting in progress about midnight Wednesday. Officers found Coyner laying in the road. She was transported to Huntsville Hospital and died Wednesday afternoon.
Police said witnesses advised they were attempting a drug transaction. They then left before completing the transaction. The offenders followed Coyner and the witnesses in a maroon Chevy Malibu to the intersection of Hillwood and Chicamauga Trail, police said.
Someone from inside the Malibu started to shoot, police said. Coyner attempted to drive off but was shot while in the vehicle, according to police
The offenders left eastbound on Chicamauga Trail and were located a short time later by west Precinct officers on Bob Wallace Avenue. The offenders were detained for investigators.
Investigators then served a search warrant at Fairview Street Wednesday afternoon and found evidence related to the shooting, police said.
- Suspect arrested, charged in Wednesday morning Huntsville murder
- Suspect arrested at Huntsville home for attempted murder, robbery charges
- Suspect arrested in Decatur murder
- Victim in Huntsville shooting dies; suspect facing murder charge
- Huntsville police arrest 3rd suspect in Beaumont Place murder investigation
- Former Huntsville teacher arrested after missing hearing for murder charge
- Huntsville murder suspect in custody in Memphis
- Huntsville police catch suspect in Sunday murder
- Huntsville Police arrest suspect on counterfeit money charges
- Huntsville man charged with capital murder