Decatur Police told WAAY 31, a 6-year-old child was hit by a vehicle around 3:00 p.m. Thursday.
Supervisor of Operations and Safety Dwight Satterfield with Decatur City Schools told WAAY 31, the child was a first grader Julian Harris Elementary and was flown to UAB Hospital.
The accident happened off campus in a nearby neighborhood, said Satterfield. He added a school bus passed by the accident and an employee aid stayed and provided assistance until first responders arrived.
According to authorities, the child was hit at the intersection of Gaslight Place and Brookline Ave. in Decatur.
A witness to the accident told WAAY 31 the child was a boy who was standing in the gutter waiting to cross the road when they were hit.
That same witness also told WAAY 31 the driver of the car got out right away to check on the child.
"She was making him get up and walk and he couldn't walk. He was just dragging. She was dragging him and she kept saying 'get up and walk.' I was telling her to stop. He couldn't walk. I mean, she just ran over his legs," said witness Teresa Mckean
There is no more information at this time.
Decatur Police corrected the child's age from a 7-year-old to a 6-year-old.
- Child hit by vehicle in Decatur
- Card cloning hits Decatur
- Child hit by vehicle near Limestone County Sheriff's Office
- Decatur woman charged with shooting into vehicle
- Decatur man dies in vehicle crash
- Utah trooper hit by vehicle
- Decatur man charged with child abuse
- Decatur man arrested for child abuse
- 3 injured in Decatur wreck involving 8 vehicles
- Fatality reported from single-vehicle crash in Decatur