Photo Gallery 6 Images
Scottsboro police said they believe a group of people from Atlanta recruited two people from Huntsville to cash counterfeit checks in the city Thursday.
Police said they detained Tracy Burrel, 30, and Cortez Petty, 27, both of Huntsville, at a bank on Micah Way Thursday after being called about them trying to cash the bogus checks. Police said they learned four other people had been waiting for the two outside.
A vehicle matching the description of the one seen at the bank was found on John T. Reid Parkway a short time later, police said. After the vehicle was stopped at the Broad Street ramp, police said one person jumped out of the vehicle and ran.
After police took the runner into custody, they said they found a laptop computer, printer and blank checks in the vehicle.
Police arrested Willie Trice, 27, Colundria Seats, 41, Jamil Weaver, 18, and Shawnta Evans, 29, all of Atlanta, on charges of possession of a forgery device. Trice also was charged with fleeing to elude.
All six were still in the Jackson County Jail awaiting bond Friday morning.
- 6 people arrested for forging checks in Scottsboro
- Man arrested after forging three checks
- Leighton woman charged with passing forged checks
- A man was arrested after forging a check
- Florence police arrest Muscle Shoals woman on forged check charges
- Woman arrested in Scottsboro hotel
- Scottsboro judge submits resignation
- Earthquake reported near Scottsboro
- Deputies: 2 found with drugs, forged checks in Athens motel
- Huntsville police: Help identify suspect in investigation into forged checks