According to the United States Department of Justice, a federal grand jury in Birmingham returned an indictment on February 27 to charge a Decatur man, Benjamin Walter, with production, distribution and receipt of child pornography.
Officials say Walter, 38, was arrested Thursday and charged by indictment with five counts of production of child pornography, one count of distribution of child pornography and one count of receipt of child pornography.
The indictment accuses Walter, between November 2013 and July 2014, of using and attempting to use five minors to engage in sexually explicit conduct with the purpose of transmitting a live visual depiction of the conduct. He's also accused of distributing child pornography in December 2015 and receiving child pornography between November 2013 and December 2015.
Officials say the investigation is a part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat child sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Decatur man arrested for producing, distributing child pornography
- Man arrested in Madison for child pornography
- Huntsville Police arrest man accused of producing child pornography, rape and sodomy
- Madison counselor arrested on child pornography charges
- Etowah County man arrested for possession of child pornography
- Fort Payne man arrested for possession of child pornography
- Lauderdale County man arrested on 76 child pornography charges
- Decatur man arrested for child abuse
- Marshall Co. woman indicted on two counts of producing child pornography
- Decatur police: Man in custody for child pornography after monthslong investigation