There’s a grinch in Limestone County and he stole a little boy's four-wheeler.
Investigators say they’re looking for 34-year-old Luis Lopez in connection to the crime.
But thanks to a watchful community, the child now has his four-wheeler back.
WAAY 31 spoke with the ten-year-old and his grandmother about what helped them connect the dots in a crime that shook their neighborhood.
“We had been to town and we came home, and as we pulled up in the driveway, we noticed the four-wheeler was gone," Martha McBay said.
McBay says her ten-year-old grandson’s day was ruined when he realized someone had taken one of his most prized possessions on Friday.
“Now, I don’t have a way to get to my grandma’s house," Brady Crowe said.
So, McBay did what any good grandma would do: she worked to find Brady’s four-wheeler.
“First, I called my neighbor and asked him if he saw anybody," she said. "He did, but he assumed it was somebody we knew.”
It wasn’t someone they knew, so McBay’s next step was taking to social media.
She and her daughter posted in their neighborhood’s community watch page on facebook and, immediately, people responded.
“‘We’ve seen this, we’ve seen this, it was on so-and-so road, we saw this, they stopped at my house.’”
McBay says she was overwhelmed by the help she received from her neighbors, like surveillance video; and she was shocked at how quickly the post spread to other nearby communities who also offered support and more evidence.
In fact, deputies say, because of that evidence, they were able to identify the suspect and find the four-wheeler.
As for McBay's grandson, Brady, he says he’s glad to have his four-wheeler back, but more than anything, he hopes the thief is caught.
“I was wanting to catch them and get them taken care of and off the streets, so we wouldn’t have anymore of this going on in our community and have it safe," Brady said.
And his grandma agrees.
“If we don’t do something together like this, we’re not going to get rid of the drugs and all this stealing.”
McBay is now encouraging other communities to create similar neighborhood watch pages to keep in touch with your neighbors and know what’s going on around you. She says it’s what helped her grandson get his four-wheeler back just in time to ride it over to her house for Christmas.
If you have any information about Lopez’s whereabouts, you’re asked to call the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office at 256-232-0111.
- Suspect wanted in relation to four-wheeler theft in Limestone Co.
- Limestone Co. investigators arrest suspect related to vehicle theft
- Boaz police want help identifying theft suspect
- Five suspects arrested in connection to Limestone Co. theft ring
- Limestone County sheriff: Theft suspect followed deliveries, snatched packages
- Videos: Limestone County sheriff seeks Dollar General theft suspect
- Limestone County sheriff wants help identifying two burglary suspects
- 3 suspects wanted after armed robbery at Limestone County business
- Madison County sheriff wants help identifying theft suspect
- Huntsville police want help identifying Airport Road theft suspects